Sunday, July 20, 2008

Poetry Sunday

Despite the heat lately, I think these last few weeks have been delicious in a way only summer can be. I wish I could just capture the feeling and bottle it up and take it out in January when I start longing for the long, dusky days full of flowers and friends and family...

I've taken up reading a poem every night before bed from an anthology I got a long time ago called Staying Alive: Real Poems for Unreal Times. I've dabbled in it every now and then, but I've actually never sat down and read everything in it. So I decided it was high time to start, and I have not been disappointed. The poem below is just one of the many new favorites I've acquired from it:


Living
By Denise Levertov
The fire in leaf and grass
so green it seems
each summer the last summer.

The wind blowing, the leaves
shivering in the sun,
each day the last day.
A red salamander
so cold and so
easy to catch, dreamily
moves his delicate feet
and long tail. I hold
my hand open for him to go.
Each minute the last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love reading your thoughts :)

01 09 10