Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Our Current Fork in the Road


I have a Big Life Decision coming up---well, both me and the hubby do.

The time has come (sorta) for me to decide one way or another if I'm going to quit teaching after this year or not.

The question is not whether or not I want to (I do), but more one of logistics--will Matt have a full-time job with benefits by the time the end of August rolls around?

His current job situation started as a part-time gig at a relatively new company and has turned into a 30+-hour-a-week thing. Depending on how the company continues to grow, there's a chance that they could very well want to hire him on full-time in a few months. Since we respect the company and believe in its products and overall philosophy, it would be a great fit for the next several years if the job works out.

However, as anyone dealing with a new business knows, that's a very big IF.

In the meantime, I realize that if my school wants the best chance of replacing me with a highly qualified teacher, they need to start looking right about now (since that's usually when the most highly qualified candidates are looking for jobs and getting snatched up). I've grown to love my school, and I want my replacement (if I am indeed being replaced) to be a good fit for the school and an excellent teacher for the students.

Trouble is, do I put in my official quitting notice now, in order to give my school the best possible chance to hire someone great? Or do I hold off on the decision until a few months have panned out, leaving us in a better position to judge what the future will likely hold and allow us the safety net of knowing that at least one of us has a job with access to insurance?

The past week or so, I've been leaning towards just taking the plunge and sending in my official notice--I feel like if we keep my job as a safety net, we won't push ourselves to look as hard for other options for our family, like Matt looking into a different job possibly or me looking to do part-time work closer to home or us looking to relocate. If we keep our safety net, we won't be pushed to see where life takes us and to explore all the possibilities this decision would open up, and we may not be closer to our goal of having me be a stay-at-home mom.

The risk of sending in my notice opens up all those possibilities, and I'm trying to assure myself that no matter what happens, both Matt and I have college degrees, lots of good work experience, and faith in God that everything will work out for our good in the end if we just pursue the path we think is best.

In the meantime, I've been pondering this as a good inspiration for taking a leap of faith into the unknown:

"If I were to wish for something, I would wish not for wealth or power but for the passion of possibility, for the eye, eternally young, eternally ardent, that sees possibility everywhere."   - Soren Kierkegaard

What would you do in our position? Go for broke and take a big risk? Or keep the safety net?


12 comments:

  1. Ha this was me during the whole month of February. I finally took the plunge and went for going broke to be home with Gavin. It's scary and a little sad to leave teaching, especially with having so little time under my belt, but it will be worth it. It was a hard decision though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is for both you and Tori-i have a friend that teaches online Jr high and high school. I don't think it's full time, but easy to do with kids-especially when your babies are so small. While it wouldn't provide insurance, it could be something to help supplement if you needed it.

      Delete
    2. I didn't know you decided to quit, Kayla! Yay for you in taking the plunge! We'll be broke SAHMs together :)

      Delete
    3. Yep. I will just finish out the school year. In a big way it's a huge relief but also super scary!

      Delete
  2. I just took the risk a few weeks ago. It was scary, but I determined if things don't pan out, I am a qualified teacher with experience and could easily find a job elsewhere if needed. Hope that brings you some comfort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of what I figured as well--I figured if things got bad, I could always get a job teaching somewhere else, especially with the new schools opening up in Cache Valley. Thanks for the encouragement, friend! And good luck to you guys in your next phase--I'm sure Donovan will have no trouble finding a good job :)

      Delete
  3. I say do whatever your gut is telling you to do, and if that's to take a plunge and put in your notice, then you should do it. I have no doubt great things are in store for your little family! love you guys! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just emailed the HR rep today about what I needed to do to officially resign! Eek!

      Delete
  4. I decided to take the plunge and drop to part time when coming back from maternity with Lola. It made sense but it also left a lot of unknowns and stuff to "be figured out". Ie insurance. We're still in the middle of figuring that out. But I think a lot of times with these situations, you won't be given the yes or no answer, you have to make a decision yourself and then see how you feel about it. Then you'll know if it's right and maybe see what's next. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to trust my gut on things like this. If I feel a non-rational, emotional type pull towards doing something, it usually means the Holy Ghost is encouraging me.
    If you end up needing to work, you might look into being a grader for an online school. My sister and sister-in-law both work for Western Governors and they can work from a home office. It still requires real work hours, but there's no commute and you could work no matter where you lived! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it so interesting how many times "online teaching" has come up in my interactions with people on this subject. Maybe it's a nudge that I should look into it...thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  6. That is a tough one! Part of me thinks I would just go for it, but that is scary too. I hope it works out for you to stay at home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love reading your thoughts :)

01 09 10