Monday, November 7, 2011

Here's What's Cooking...Apricot Chicken

K, so you totally cannot judge this recipe by the terrible photo above (basically I had eaten all of my chicken and then said to Matt, whose chicken was still halfway intact, "Stop! I have to take a picture!"). I've been trying to experiment with different slow cooker recipes every Sunday that we're up here in Logan, so this was this week's try.

I thought its juicy texture and sweet (but not too sweet) flavor was perfect for a snowy Sunday afternoon. Ideally I would have paired it with fresh rolls and a fruit cocktail, but as it was, we were lucky to just get the entree. That's just how it is sometimes.

Anyway, here's the recipe (I took it from the Oct. 2011 issue of All You magazine):

Apricot Chicken

12 dried apricots
8 medium chicken thighs, about 2 lbs. (I actually just used two chicken breasts and two huge wing/leg parts, and it worked perfectly)
Salt and pepper
2 tbs. unsalted butter (I cut this out and it still tasted great)
2 tbs. vegetable oil (I substituted olive, to make it healthier)
1 onion, sliced
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth

Rinse apricots and scatter them in slow cooker. Pat chicken dry; season with salt and pepper. Melt butter with oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook thighs until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. (Brown in batches to avoid crowding skillet). Arrange over apricots.

Pour off all but 1 Tbs. fat in skillet. Add onion and cook, stirring, until just soft, 2 to 4 minutes. Add broth to skillet, turn heat to high. Bring to a boil, stirring to loosen brown bits on bottom of skillet. Pour contents of skillet over apricots and chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.

Carefully transfer thighs to a serving dish (they tend to fall apart easily); cover with foil to keep warm. Pour remaining contents into a saucepan. Boil, stirring often, until reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes. Pour over chicken. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love reading your thoughts :)

01 09 10