Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mission Call

I had just sat down to eat a pb & honey sandwich and watch Oprah two Fridays ago when I got an unexpected call from Mom telling me my call had come. I had completely given up hope that it would come that week (because they usually come on Wednesday or Thursday), so I wasn't expecting it at all. I was supposed to go to the Fall Ball with Manuel that night, but there was no way I could wait to open it. Liz drove Kayla and I down to Bountiful (like a madwoman, I might add), and I was met at the house by most everyone in the immediate family and Grandma, as well as many of my closest friends. I've got to say that I was a complete spaz from the moment I got the phone call to about the time I was slitting open the envelope; I was shaking all over and would randomly emit a high-pitched squeal. Thank goodness it didn't come on Wednesday--I can't even imagine having to wait two whole days!

The thing I was most nervous about was that I would be disappointed or that I wouldn't get the confirmation that that was the place I was supposed to be. But I'd been praying for weeks that I would be able to get over these fears and that I would indeed know that wherever I was called was the right place for me to go. When I opened the envelope and pulled out the letter with my assignment in it, I let my eyes skip ahead so that I could see where I was going before everyone else knew. It took a second for my brain to process it, but the second I read aloud "El Salvador San Salvador West/Belize Mission," I KNEW that I'd been called to the right place (which would explain partly why I started crying right then). I just felt the Spirit so strong bearing witness to me that that was exactly where I was supposed to go and that I would love it. I am so thrilled! I really wanted to go Spanish-speaking and I really wanted to go foreign, so I'm feeling incredibly blessed right now; I just know that this will be one of the best experiences of my whole life and I can't wait to leave! Of course, I still have over three months until I enter the MTC on January 28th, but luckily I have school to keep me occupied for at least part of it. It will be strange to leave everything and everyone (and how I'll miss everyone!), but I know this is what I'm supposed to do. What could be better for me than to spread the happy message of the restored gospel, which I have come to know for myself is true? I'm so so excited. Thank you everyone for your support and love and for helping me become the kind of person that would want to do this! I love you all :)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Torrie! I know how much you wanted to go, and I agree that you are more ready now than you would have been if you had gone a year ago. I am so proud of you. I will miss you so so much, but I promise I will write and keep in tough. I love you! Make sure you stay safe, okay?!?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love reading your thoughts :)

01 09 10