Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween everyone! In honor of the holiday, I decided to post a picture taken right before the family party a couple Sundays ago. Even though you can't really tell what most of us are supposed to be (Mom - Dorothy, Scott - Wizard of Oz, Carter and I - mafia members / Blues Brothers), we had a lot of fun competing against the rest of the extended family in pumpkin carving and fear factor. It's a pity they didn't bring in some halloween word game or something - we would have smoked everyone! (Esp. since Ryan, Jill, and I are all very much in-practice when it comes to playing word games every day online. Thank you facebook!)

Last Friday was the Homecoming Dance. Manuel and I doubled with Liz and Manuel's friend Mike. Can I say how much fun it is to go to a dance with someone who REALLY knows how to dance? It's awesome! Manuel can do it all--breakdance, ballroom dance, swing dance...we had so much fun together trying all the different styles. So much fun, in fact, that we went dancing twice this week (instead of the usual once) at the Fun Park and at Club New York (country swing and ballroom, respectively), and we're also going to the Howl tonight to dance some more. Funny story--at Club New York on Tuesday night, Manuel was teaching me how to break dance. I can now do the windmill (I think that's what it's called) and this other little floor twist thing. One of these days I plan to bust out a breakdance routine in a public place to the wonder and awe of all present. I think it would be hilarious.


This morning I had to teach my first full-length class! I spent a full hour teaching Modern Poetry to my Teaching Literature class while they filled out evaluations. It went SO well--I'm really happy about it, actually. My teacher was so happy with how I did that she actually had me come up to her office afterwards to give me (as a gift) one of her personal books on teaching, plus she praised a few of the specific things I did in front of the whole class, and told them to model theirs after mine. I tried to incorporate lots of different components and learning styles into it to connect with everyone, and I ended up having a lot of fun with it; we watched a clip from Dead Poets Society, listened to the radio a bit (as an analogy of how a good poem is like getting a good radio signal, but to pick up on the signal, the radio, or reader, has to be in good condition and know how to receive it), talked about what poetry is and is not, and even wrote our own "slang" poems. I'm so happy that it went well, and that it's done now---I can finally concentrate on other things!

So I go through the temple next week...I couldn't be more excited! I've waited my whole life to finally get to go through for myself, and I feel ready to take this step in my life; I know it will help me prepare for my mission even more. Boy, I can't wait!

I've got to run off to my last class of the day now...but I just wanted to say, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!



1 comment:

  1. Torrie, I think that you are so amazing. Anything you set your mind to doing, not only do you get done, but it always turns out so well. Congratulations on the mission again, and on teaching your class. I loved your dress that you wore to the dance, and I am so glad that you have someone to go dance with! Take care of yourself and I hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love reading your thoughts :)

01 09 10