Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Last Days

As I start gathering together my things and running the last errands before moving up to school, I feel almost overwhelmed at the thought that my summer is almost over. I've never been the type to say that the summer passed by too fast or that school came on too soon; I've always been of the mindset that summer could be a month shorter and I'd be just fine. But not this time. These last four months have been some of the happiest, funnest, craziest times of my life, and I'm so so sad to be saying goodbye. I'm trying to psych myself up to be excited for school (which I always have been before), but I wouldn't have minded a few more weeks of minimal-work and maximum-relaxing bliss. But life must go on, and so must I.

To end the summer on a high note, I spent my last full weekend of the season at Pine View and then later at West Bountiful Park for the Water Olympics (which I'd been planning on doing since we went camping in Moab back in June). I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day---the weather was gorgeous, with temperatures around a perfect 85 degrees, and I spent the morning and afternoon playing sand volleyball, skipping rocks, playing in the water, and going jet skiing with many of my closest friends.

Our old neighbor Steve Lindsay (who lived right next door to us in Logan the last three years) was the reason for the whole Pine View trip. He said that he had two jet skiis that he was taking up to Pine View and invited us to join him and some of his friends for a day on the water. One of the girls he brought with him was another one of our old neighbors (Sarah, the girl with the brace on her leg). Steve basically planned everything---he brought up food and treats as well as spare life jackets and fuel for both of the jet skiis. It was one of those perfect days that seem to happen every now and again when I'm least expecting it---I was completely content with where I was at, who I was with. and what I was doing, and I didn't wish for anything more than what I had. It was exquisite.

We started the day off playing some friendly volleyball, and when the sand got too hot, we all raced to see who could get to the water first (see pictures below).


He he---that's me in second place. I always knew I had a bit of a runner in me :)


Below is a picture of everyone that went. Both times I went out on the jet skiis I paired up with Dean, and we took turns driving. The first time we went out, we were pretty nice to each other, but I changed all that the second time we went out. I was determined to throw Dean off the back, so I would rev up the waverunner to its maximum speed and then slightly stand on the jet skiis (to better stabilize myself) and make an abrupt turn while trying to jump the jet ski in the air. It took a few tries, but I finally bucked him off. Of course, right after that, he somehow managed to get ME thrown off while he was still on the back of the jet ski. Don't ask how that happened---he just kept leaning as far as he could to one side until I lost my hold and fell off. After those initial two falls by us individually, every other time we got thrown off was together. I'm a little surprised that neither of us ended up with any elbows in our faces or knees in our backs, but all was good as we drove the jet skiis back in.

We got home from Pine View around four, but there was no time for the nap that my body desperately wanted, because I had to pick up the ingredients for homemade ice cream and fill up about 150 water balloons with Matt to get ready for the Water Olympics I was hosting at 6:30. We were supposed to get a much bigger turnout, but everyone must have been busy or forgotten, because there were only ten of us total throughout the evening. But it was all good, because we had plenty of fun pelting each other with water balloons (after playing water balloon volleyball) and attempting a 7-legged race (below).

We were doing really quite well at first, but then the guys started getting a little aggressive and wanted to go faster, so basically Fish and I started getting dragged along, as you can kinda see from this picture.

And what's a picture out in the park without Callin trying to jump over something? (What you can't tell from the picture is that this garbage can REEKED like throw up and horse manure and also had all the remains from our water balloon fight in it).

Here are the boys sharing a guy-bonding moment. Precious.

The final event was the saran-wrap race. I got the idea down in Orem at Upward Bound---basically you just saran wrap several people back to back as tight as you can and they have to race the other team to the other side without falling over. Since your hands and arms are saran-wrapped tightly to your body, a fall would be a dangerous thing indeed. Dean thought he would be sly and purposely put himself in the back so that if we fell, he would fall on us (rather than the other way around). Nice.

The other team just barely won at the end by perhaps a nose. An Olympics-close finish, if I do say so myself. And in addition to Callin jumping over things, a day outside would just not be the same without a good hands-up stands-up competition. We girls have learned just to sit them out now, since the boys could just stay up for hours if they wanted. Grrr...blast you people with ridiculous upper body strength and balance.

Below are the four teams, in the order of their rank.

Callin pulling a nice little seductive face there.

Liz for some reason thinks that they were number two, but they weren't. Or she's just promoting peace. Go peace.
Dean and I somehow pulled last, which is pretty shocking, considering that we were probably the two most competitive people there. Guess it serves us right.

I wanted to close this entry with a poem that just embodies this summer so completely for me (esp. the last stanza). I truly felt like this summer has been like living from joy to joy to joy, and I'm sorry to see it end. I'm so grateful to a Heavenly Father who blesses me every day with so many people who bring me pleasure and happiness. My friend Josh Taylor (who served in Samoa on his mission) was teaching Dean how to play "What a Wonderful World" on his ukelele at Pine View, and that seems to be the song in my heart today. What a great life this is!

From Blossoms

From blossoms comes
this brown paper bag of peaches
we bought from the boy
at the bend in the road where we turned toward
signs painted Peaches.

From laden boughs, from hands,
from sweet fellowship in the bins,
comes nectar at the roadside, succulent
peaches we devour, dusty skin and all,
comes the familiar dust of summer, dust we eat.

O, to take what we love inside,
to carry within us an orchard, to eat
not only the skin, but the shade,
not only the sugar, but the days, to hold
the fruit in our hands, adore it, then bite into
the round jubilance of peach.

There are days we live
as if death were nowhere
in the background; from joy
to joy to joy, from wing to wing,
from blossom to blossom to
impossible blossom, to sweet impossible blossom.

-Li-Young Lee

1 comment:

  1. I miss you!! I am sorry that I couldn't come to your Water Olympics. I didn't forget, but I did end up having family stuff planned that I didn't know about when I talked to you. Sorry about that. I have loved having you here for part of the summer. I loved our movies night and just being able to talk about whatever was going on. You are one of my best friends and I love you. I hope you have a blast up at school, and I can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love reading your thoughts :)

01 09 10